3.27.2010

Lamb Cake: Clever or Disturbing??

I think it's safe to say that not everyone is going to love this cake. I'll admit that when artist Andrea Everman emailed it to me, I looked at the first pic and thought, oh, that's sooo cute and then I saw the second photo and my feelings changed to hmmm…it's also kind of disturbing, and then quickly switched back to but, it is clever. My emotions continued to sway back and forth like this for several minutes until I just couldn't take it anymore and had to ask for another opinion! I think it's definitely well done and interesting, but, as an animal lover, I don't know if I could actually eat it! On the other hand, the less emotional part of my brain keeps saying, why wouldn't you eat it! It's just cake! So, what do you guys think of this particular lamb cake or lamb cakes in general??? Clever or disturbing?

For those of you interested in trying this at home, the cake is strawberry and those are cilantro leaves filling in for the grass. Oh, and Andrea is a lovely lady and is going to making us a vegan dessert later in the year, so if you hate this cake, please don't take it out on her! :-) Thanks, Andrea!

17 comments:

liz@zested said...

The cake is very clever - though a little demonic looking. Though I have to say I recoiled a bit when I saw the second photo of the sliced cake - something about the pink!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Wow, so clever! That lamb has a mischievious look... I love the idea!

Cheers,

Rosa

shaz said...

It is quite disturbing when sliced open and you get chops (I'm saying this as a meat-eater). But my cake-decorating brain thinks it's absolutely brilliant though.

Anonymous said...

It would be less disturbing if the inside color didn't hammer home the idea of meat/flesh.

Anonymous said...

I think if it weren't so "realistically" decorated it would be cute, rather than a bit scary. Very nice job by Andrea, but I'd rather eat my lamb for dinner.

Anonymous said...

I love it!

I originally saw the pic on andrea's
facebook page and thought it was moulded meat. For some reason that creeped me out. Now that I know its just cake - love it.

dessert girl said...

Hey, everyone,
Thanks for the great comments! I agree with what a number of people have said, that if the cake were a different color, it might not be so creepy, but, even if you're creeped out, most of us agree, that it's still pretty cool! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one with mixed feelings. :-)

Eartha Kitsch said...

It IS kind of creepy but to me, my love for it seriously outweighs the creep-out factor. I love his little face.

Carolyn Jung said...

The part that's wrong? Using cilantro with strawberry cake. Oh, believe me, I'm not one of those ciantro haters. I am a cilantro lover. But oh, not with strawberry cake. ;)

Amy Rowan said...

This is brilliant. Andrea is brilliant. I want lamb cake now!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Awwww I think it's cute! I thought it might be made of lamb inside which might be a bit strange but if it's cake inside then that's just delicious and quite clever ! :D

Y said...

No one's mentioned those beady beady eyes..........

Anonymous said...

For some reason, the Bambi cake does not unsettle me. Although, the real thing does (It's so unnatural- how do Americans do it!?)

dessert girl said...

Oh, yeah,I'm definitely opposed to seeing a real animal on the dinner table! Not my cup of tea...at all!!

Nastassia said...

It is both creative and disturbing .

GTD said...

Poor Bambi=(

Anonymous said...

Very, very, very disturbing.

i love the creativity, but oh no.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...